Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment in Allendale, NJ
Specially trained on the musculoskeletal system and your body's interconnected system of nerves, muscles and bones, a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) uses a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic tools to promote your body's natural ability to self-heal.
One of these tools, osteopathic manipulation, uses the power of human touch and specially-trained human hands for diagnosis, prevention and treatment of illness and injury. Also known as osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT), osteopathic manipulation can improve mobility and ease pain, as well as promote healing.
To schedule a consultation with an osteopathic healthcare provider in Allendale that specializes in osteopathic manipulative treatment, call (201) 806-6099 or contact MedWell Testosterone, Weight Loss & Hormone Replacement online.
Conditions that Respond to Osteopathic Manipulation
Osteopathic medicine teaches that structural problems in the spine impact the nerves that radiate out to the various organs and other parts of the body and cause disease. Some D.O.s use OMT to treat all disease, but OMT is most often used to relieve muscle, neck or back pain and improve mobility. OMT has been successfully used to treat many other medical conditions, including:
- Asthma and other respiratory conditions, including pneumonia
- Sinus disorders
- Sports injuries
- Migraines, menstrual pain and other chronic pain conditions
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress injuries
- Inflammatory bowel disease
In many cases, OMT is able to complement and even bypass the need for prescription medication and surgery to address many of the conditions listed above.
What to Expect from Osteopathic Manipulation Treatment
On your first visit, your D.O. will conduct a complete history and physical exam. Using X-rays and other diagnostic tools—including osteopathic manipulation—your current health state will be evaluated and your D.O. will develop a treatment plan with you.
There are numerous different techniques in osteopathic manipulation which can be used to diagnose and treat your medical condition. Some of the most popular include:
- Soft tissue, which uses rhythmic stretching, deep pressure and traction to apply pressure to the muscle area around the spine.
- Muscle energy, in which you are instructed to use certain muscles from certain prescribed positions, in prescribed directions, operating against a counterforce from the doctor.
- Thrust, or “cracking” technique, which uses high velocity force to restore motion to a joint, or reduce asymmetry, restricted movement, tenderness or tissue changes.
- Counterstrain, used for acute injuries, in which you are moved out of a position where motion is restricted into a position that offers greater comfort.
- Myofascial release focuses on relieving muscle pain and mobility by releasing muscle tightness by applying gentle pressure to the affected muscles.
- CranioSacral therapy primarily addresses the skull and sacrum by applying light touch and massage to alleviate pain and balance the nervous system.
Following Your Osteopathic Manipulation
Because OMT is a completely non-invasive procedure, there is no recovery time and the only side effect may be soreness for one or two days, depending on the technique and force used by your D.O.
If you've been suffering from chronic pain or other conditions that have not responded to traditional medicine, osteopathic manipulative treatment can be a safe and effective way to treat your condition.
To schedule a consultation with an osteopathic doctor in Allendale that specializes in osteopathic manipulation, call (201) 806-6099 or contact MedWell Testosterone, Weight Loss & Hormone Replacement online.
MedWell Testosterone, Weight Loss & Hormone Replacement
Address33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm